I work with a small number of events companies that ask me to give them ideas for new ways to use a magician at their events. This has led to some really interesting and fun ways to me to perform as magician. Here’s an idea that I’ve recently explored to add even more fun to a fun casino:
The idea is that for a part of the event, the croupier (dealer) is secretly a magician and cheats everyone at the table! For example, one minute someone has a really bad hand, yet next minute, they have the best hand possible … all secretly because of the magician! Or, the person with just one chip left looks down to find a big pile of chips in front of them!
Having trained as a sleight of hand magician for fifteen years, I have learned the secret techniques of many gamblers and card cheats and spent years of my life practicing them. It is these techniques that I use as a dealer to make other people win without ever knowing how it happened!
So, if you want to hire me as a close-up magician for your fun casino, perhaps consider trying something different!
If you’ve never hired a magician before, you’d be forgiven for wondering what all the different types of magician are. Here’s a basic rundown:
Close-up Magician: A magician who performs magic with cards, coins and borrowed objects from just a few feet away.
Table Magician: A magician who performs close-up magic at your table between the courses of a meal.
Walkaround Magician: A magician who mingles with your guests, for example at a cocktail reception or garden party.
Street Magician: Not someone you’d normally hire, but the type of magician who performs close-up magic on the street. There are two types of street magicians: the ones that attract massive crowds (and normally work for tips) and the type that approach small groups at a time. The latter are essentially performing walkaround magic but instead of doing it for a cocktail reception, they’re busy doing it outside Boots and Tescos.
I specialise in close-up magic. Therefore you can hire me to perform close-up magic at weddings, sleight of hand magic for a party and more!
I realise that a lot of people hire me because they are looking for a close-up magician in Gloucester. Therefore I thought it would be useful to put together a website focussing on the best magicians in Gloucestershire.
My new Gloucester Magicians website does just that. I have highlighted the best magicians in Gloucester and hope that it is of some use!
If your Chrismtas party is in the next few days and you haven’t sorted your entertainment (I recommend hiring a close-up magician, of course!), it might not be too late.
It’s easy to assume all close-up magicians get booked up during Christmas (and most do!), but sometimes the timings fall right that even a busy a magician can perform at your event. For example, I just booked a show in the afternoon for this weekend in the same town that I am performing in for the evening. Therefore, I was able to take the booking.
But if I am already booked during a time that you need a close-up magician, I am always happy to source other magicians who are available for you. I only ever recommend magicians that I have worked with in the past (normally at things like corporate Christmas parties) to ensure that they are of high quality!
So if you need a magician last minute this Christmas, feel free to get in touch!
Here are a few tips that might help when looking for a magician in Gloucester:
1. It’s important that a magician (in Gloucester, or anywhere else!) has a great looking website. But a great website does not necessarily make a great magician. So be sure to do some research to ensure that you are not just hiring based off the website.
2. There aren’t any professional qualifications for magicians. But, it’s always useful to see if the magician has won any recent awards and are a member of a society like The Magic Circle. In my opinion, that is the only magic society in the country that is a little difficult to get into, so that’s always a good thing to check.
3. Check that they really are from Gloucester. Some magicians, unfortunately, spoof their websites to pretend that they live in Gloucester … and every other major city in the UK!
4. Do they specialise in close-up magic? The truth is that it is difficult to sustain a career in close-up magic and therefore magicians tend to accept many different types of shows. However, I am a specialist in close-up magic. I don’t do children’s entertainment … I specialise in magic at weddings and corporate events.
5. Are they easy to work with? That’s the essential one in my opinion. Be sure to talk to the magician on the phone and check that you like them, that they are fun and that they would be the right person to represent you or your brand at an event.
And there you go. Five quick, but important tips for hiring a close-up magician in Gloucester … or anywhere else in the country!
It’s that time of year again: the wedding season! Many couples are now starting to plan their wedding entertainment now for 2013 and that’s a sensible thing to do.
There are close to 5,000 weddings each weekend in the UK (average worked out from The Guarden’s marriage statistics article) and probably less than fifty professional magicians in the country. That means, it’s important to book early to ensure that you are able to have a close-up magician at your wedding.
That’s why I am now taking bookings for 2013. So if you’re looking for a wedding magician get in touch now to secure your date!
Hiring a close-up magician must be a pretty difficult thing to do. Many people who call me are concerned mainly about price. I can understand that; organising a wedding or party is an expensive business.
But here are some points to consider when it comes to choosing a magician solely on price:
1. There’s not a single professional magician alive who can sustain charging £100 or £150 for every show he does. Minus travel, tax, cost of materials (which is normally low, but still needs to be included), car maintenance cost and the full day that you’re away from the office, the magician would be making next to nothing.
2. If someone is cheap, there’s normally a reason: he doesn’t feel qualified to charge the going rate. If a magician doesn’t have the confidence in themselves, it’s difficult for the client to have the confidence in the magician. Will they arrive on time, will they do a great job and so on?
3. Fees often reflect the magician’s target market. If you are looking for a close-up magician who performs at top-class corporate events, you won’t find the right magician at the lower end of the price scale.
4. Price also reflects the magician’s experience. Amateur magicians almost always charge the least because they don’t rely on magic as their income. Professionals, however, need to charge a full fee because it is their only source of income.
Finally, here’s one that’s the flipside of all the other points:
5. The magician may have a reason to price lower. Maybe they live locally, have another show nearby that day (and can fit you in before or after) or they think meeting your guests would be beneficial for them. Therefore, not every low-fee should suggest the magician isn’t fantastic.
In the world of the internet, it’s easy to use careful wording to help sell yourself. This is shown particularly well if you search for “Gloucester Magician” or similar, where you’ll see lots of magicians suggesting that they are professional magicians from Gloucester when often they’re neither from Gloucester … or a professional magician!
With that in mind, here are three questions to ask when looking for magicians specifically in Gloucester:
1. Are you really from Gloucester?
Lots of magicians have several websites, with each website pretending that they’re from a different area. This attempt to get more shows, to me, is a little unethical so I am completely honest when people ask. In fact, my address is on the bottom of every page of my website: I live just outside of Gloucester and am one of the very few close-up magicians in Gloucester.
2. Are you really a professional magician?
Several of the websites that show up when searching for “Gloucester magician” are from amateurs posing to be professionals (some, in particular even have quite a lot of hyperbole around that fact too). That isn’t to suggest that they don’t offer professional quality magic, but if you’re representing a company or hiring a magician for your wedding, it’s important to know exactly who and what you’re hiring. I’m a full-time professional magician; it’s what I do for a living and magic is my soul source of income.
3. Are you insured?
Most venues require that any external entertainment or service provider have public liability insurance. It’s a great question to ask a magician up front as it’ll save a lot of hassle later down the line if you find out that they don’t.
I really don’t intend for this to sound like a negative blog post. As a professional close-up magician, I’m passionate about what I do and like to offer the best service possible! Therefore I’m honest and up front about what I do. The trouble with the internet though, is that not every service provider is the same!
If you’ve got more than four or five tables for your wedding breakfast, a wedding magician is always a great way to entertain your guests. Here’s why:
- Wedding magicians always break the ice at a table, which is especially useful if you have people on the table who don’t know each other.
- Talking about the amazing wedding magician always makes for a great conversation at the table during the meal.
- Most people have never seen a close-up magician perform before, so it’s a great opportunity for them to experience magic from just a few feet away.
- It’s something the whole family can join in with and enjoy. Everyone from young children to grandad and grandma love magic!
- It creates a great buzz and a fun atmosphere. Laughter and applause is contagious, so it’s the perfect way to ensure that everyone enjoys the atmosphere.
Your wedding day is the most amazing day of your life, so make it even more special by hiring an amazing wedding magician!
If you’re planning a Christmas party (whether for your work, or personal Christmas party), now is the perfect time to hire a close-up magician. Here are five reasons why you should hire a Christmas party magician
1. Close-up magicians are a lot of fun
Christmas is about letting your hair down and magic is supposed to be fun! The right magician will not only amaze your guests, but make them laugh too.
2. It’s easy to arrange
It takes just one phone call, or just a couple of emails to hire a magician for your Christmas party. Once you’ve chosen your magician, if he’s available, the booking process takes just a few minutes.
3. Close-up magicians are “low maintenance”
Magicians are surprisingly low maintenance. Once at the event, the magician will mingle with your guests. Most magicians don’t have any special requests, or need anything from you. They’ll simply arrive and be ready to start performing within a few minutes.
4. Magic is en-vogue right now
With so much magic on television, it’s clear that magic is a popular entertainment choice. So, if you want your party to be modern and fun, consider a magician!
5. You can hire a magician last minute
While there are only a few professional magicians in the country, you can normally find someone who is available last minute. I’m happy to help recommend magicians who are available on your date, if I’m not able to make it.